Monday, April 1, 2013

Oaxaca Altitude Run with Suicide Hill

My favorite run in Oaxaca, Mexico starts at just over 5000 feet in altitude from my house in Colonia Antiguo Aeropuerto. The loop is a tad under 7 miles. I wind my way north through the neighborhoods of Volcanes and San Felipe Del Agua, where I climb a steep 100 meter hill that places me at the edge of town at Parque Colosio. Thus far, I've chugged a couple miles climbing to about 5 - 5300 feet.

I've posted a video about the route here.

From there, I'm on dirt roads heading out of town towards the 9000 foot ridge just north of the city of Oaxaca. I'm just hitting my rhythm as I hit a killer hill, about 600 meters of a very steep pitch.

If my rhythm and fitness are good, I chug right up this monster. I'll admit, some days I can barely get one foot in front of the other. In any case, at the top, I'm rewarded with a panoramic view of the city of Oaxaca and the three mountain valleys that converge at the city. The hill plants you at about 56 - 5700 feet above sea level.

The run back to town continues along the Libramiento, a closed off ridge road skirting the side of the mountain. It ribbons along the slope, undulating rolling switchbacks that further challenge your stride. On a good day, I can maintain a consistent rhythm and pace through this part. The inclines aren't as severe as the earlier hill. Few cars make it up there, but there are cows, goats, other runners and bikers.

No comments:

Post a Comment