Monday, January 1, 2018

New Years Eve Half Marathon - Another PR!

The volunteer from Diablo Valley Runners leading the 1:40 pace group is going too fast! I've targeted the Brazen New Year's Eve half marathon at Quarry Lakes in Fremont for a crack at breaking 1:40, and I know from painful experience that going out fast is sure death.

I'm backing off the pace after 2 miles in 15:03 -- we should be more like 15:16. Bear in mind, at 60 years old this is a jaunty pace for me. If I have any hope of reaching my 1:40 goal, I should run negative splits.  Translation - I want to run the second half of the race faster than the first half.

 Ready to fall off the back of the pack at 2 miles
 - on purpose!

It's not that the pace feels hard - yet. But there is 11 miles to go!
The 1:40 group slowly gains a few yards on me, but after a mile or so I'm keeping the gap even and feeling relaxed.

At the turnaround on this segment of the course, I gulp some gatorade, pretty clumsy and jerky I am, but I get a couple good swigs down. Thinking only relaxation/rhythm, I notice the 1:45 pace group approaching the turnaround. Huh? Why are they this close?! I ratchet my speed up a notch, renewing my commitment to 1:40 pace.

I'd trained really well, averaging just over 40 miles / wk in my buildup, topping out at 54 miles one week. I knew I could dip under 1:40 on a good day, but it would take a smart race. The fly in the ointment, one week prior to race day I come down with a cold and a nasty throat. I rested up, drank ginger tea and gulped Airborne supplements and quelled the cold just in time.

Looking up between the six and seven mile mark, I see that I'm catching the 1:40 group, indeed my pace will lift me past them, but here's another aid station. Again a rather clumsly grab and glug of sports drink, but hell I know I need the fuel to keep my train rolling. I'd run first few half marathons on just water. I do better late in the race drinking eletrolyte beverages.

I re-focus on rhythm and settle in with the pace group, content to draft on them for now.

Feeling cheeky, I pop in front of the 1:40 pace group during mile 9. Maybe I'm ready to make a break! Nope, the pace leader reels me in and I settle back into drafting off the group. He asks how I'm doing, "not bad" says I, but the strain is showing. He allows that anyone who wants to break away might go at the next turnaround, but I'm dubious now!

The asphault trail dips under bridges at points, creating a small downhill/uphill. These tiny uphills are beginning to get difficult. We hit the final turnaround, I down my final gulp of gatorade and get plenty of it all over my shirt.

Now I work hard to keep rhythm. With about 3 miles to go, I reckon I have the strength to maintain pace without cratering. How do I know this? Last year I went out too fast, attempting to run 1:40 and I ran the last 3 miles almost backwards! I crashed and burned. Today, I feel much better. Better training, better pacing, and sports drink!

Meanwhile, the pace group drifts ahead of me again - 40, 50 yards. I work to keep it even with them from there, with some success. But now 1.5 miles to go, they are pulling away.  I'm not falling apart, but I can't pick it up either. I figure, the pace so far insures I have a crack at 1:40, but maybe plus a few seconds rather than breaking it? We cross the bridge over the river to the final loop and I'm pretty toasted.

About 100 yards to go, I gave it everything I had. I sure hope that is a 5k straggler in back of me, not another half marathoner!

The last 3/4 mile or so to the finish, I'm looking for a bit of pace but can't find too much. I keep the rhythm going and man I'm happy to hit the finish line! I cross in 1:40:32. Well hell, I am happy with it. It's a PR by 1:26! 

What the hell? Who's complaining. Also, after feeling pretty sick the prior week, I'm super pumped to have run a fairly smart race and kept my head in it the whole way.

What next? I'm thinking rest a bit, then do another build up with a bit more volume, and have another go at it at the Oakland Half Marathon this March 25th, just after my 61st birthday. I'll run under 1:40 yet!


No comments:

Post a Comment