Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Love a Training Route P.R.!

When we moved to Santa Rosa two years back, I started doing out & back runs on the Santa Rosa Creek Trail. It's pretty, it's flat and there's a lot of shade. Perfect flat & fast course for tempo runs!

I like to relax on the way out, cross the bridge to the other side of the trail, and run a negative split on the way back. With the various bridges and street crossings, I can run loops totaling 7 miles, 10.4 and 15 miles. Sometimes I run 6.55 miles out, and turn on a dime to cover the 13.1 mile half marathon distance.

Last winter, soon after turning 61, I set a workout P.R. of 1:19:54 on the 10.4 loop. A bit more than six months later, all indications are that I was set to go faster on this route. I felt relaxed on the way out this a.m. and figured I'd give it a shot.

 "Ouch!"

Cruisin' through the turnaround bridge at 41:15, I was pretty sure I had it in the tank to do it. I relaxed and stayed focused on the moment, not worrying about the distance left to run, and came back in 1:18:52. It was not easy! Hmmmmm... we did stay out dancing until past 1 a.m. three days back, I seem to recall, but only had 1.5 margaritas each. No prob! I love a workout P.R.!

Of course, it's not lost on me that in the late 70s I could run a 60 mile week at a substantially faster pace without too much sweat. But in truth, I am thrilled with running today, as I was then!

No comments:

Post a Comment