Tuesday, December 27, 2011

What is Running Good For?

If you run a lot, you'll be fit enough to race. This is fun and gratifying. If you run enough, you experience health benefits like a strong heart and immune system. Run far enough and the endorphins flow, delivering relaxing benefits such as peace of mind.
Now that's where I'm at. As an artist and musician, I get the endorphin rush at about the 35 minute mark. I'll never forget a one hour run I took on the side of the mountain range behind the city of Oaxaca in spring of 2009. I looked up at a corn field that was pitched down a slope about 5500 feet above sea level, and started singing to myself.

Ripe Pineapple Drunk. You gotta level the hill, plant the corn. Gotta get in and out by dawn. Don't really wanna be around when the owner of the hill come back from town.
ME & THE BOYS MADE A LITTLE MISTAKE / A COUPLE RIPE PINEAPPLES WE DID TAKE!
And now we're Ripe Pineapple Drunk. I'm an old hippy but I wanna be a punk! Ripe Pineapple Drunk!.

Weirdest thing, these lyrics (and a melody, such as it is) popped into my head unbidden about 36 minutes into the run. I was in the flow, and beautifully so. The run delivered this to me. I didn't want to forget the tune, so I sang it out loud and drummed my dog stick to it all the way home. The Oaxacans who saw me flit by musta thought I was one loco gringo.

In any case, I got home, picked up my Epiphone acoustic and here it is, Ripe Pineapple Drunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment